Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Back to the Drawing Board

Over the past few months, I have been sketching for various projects and thinking about how much I enjoy this part of the design process. In doing so, I stumbled onto this sketch from the 2012 calendar projects.




It is obviously quick and rough. But aren't sketches like this appealing? Even ones rendered in a hurry, with little notes all over them, I find hard to throw way.

Perhaps it's because they reveal so much about the decision-making that goes on in a painting...and the possibilities. It's not just about how the painting turned out, but all of the other ways it's could have turned out. It's sometimes hard to discard the ideas that one sketch represents.

Here is an excerpt of that February spread, in final form. The bookmark will be moved to the right side and some other elements and colors have been tweaked, but it's fun to see this one version of the sketch come to life.





And here, a close-up of Kerry Boone's lovely verse.






The 2012 Seasons of Friendship calendar, along with the Abundant Blessings version, will be available in stores in July. You know, calendars are a little like sketches, too. Their empty pages represent so many possibilities...dates waiting be filled with events and plans. Perhaps that's why some of us can't throw these away either!


Copyright 2011 Shelly Reeves Smith

6 comments:

Larissa said...

I can't explain the allure of a sketch either, but many times I like my sketches better than my final products. I don't know what it is about them, and it is so frustrating to lose that quality when I take it to the next level.

Shelly said...

You said it better than I ever could, Larissa! -- perhaps there are a lot of artists who feel the same way.

Heather said...

You're so talented! Your illustrations are just beautiful.

The Farmer's Wife said...

There are those of us who would call the sketch the final product...and THAT'S why we're not doing calendars, but admiring yours!

I think sketches are less self-conscious. They're more free spirited and don't know that they will someday be works of art. They don't try as hard.

Your art on every level is so amazing to me, Shelly!

bee'nme said...

Hi Shelly!

So nice to have found your blog...I was admiring your work at Legacy and Googled you! (sounds kinda creepy when I type it, but it worked :o) I think a sketch is so appealing because it is so full of promise...it hints at the beauty to come, allows our imaginations to fill in some of the open spaces, and reminds us that there is more to come, that God isn't finished with us yet...

Thanks for sharing a bit of the process...your work is amazing! I love your philosophy about painting what you love...I needed to hear that today as I was just asking the Lord about how to deal with changing trends in my illustration...thanks for sharing!

Have a blessed week - I look forward to checking in and seeing what's new...

Blessings,
Becky

Shelly said...

Thank you, Becky. I sort of work by the seat of my pants most days. It's so nice to know something I shared was of help. I will check out your blog!