Saturday, September 17, 2011

My Summer Vacation

Well, it wasn't actually a vacation. I completed a calendar and worked on several other projects. But I did take a break from blogging to spend some extra time with my family.

In doing so, I spent a lot of time watching my son's first attempts at creating and building. In just a few short months, he has quickly gone from baby-toddler to little-boy-toddler. Among his new tricks and skills is stacking objects in interesting ways...like this kitchen-inspired sculpture that he made, then of course quickly abandoned for something much more interesting.


I didn't actually see him stack this, but I have watched him build towers before with other toys, like the Fisher Price POP-ONZ Pop & Twirl Building Table that our dear friends loaned us (I say "dear" because this is quite possibly the best toy ever invented). When my son, or any child, plays with it, I see them piece together colorful shaped blocks with unwavering confidence and enjoyment, then promptly congratulate themselves afterward with a rousing round of chubby-handed applause.

If one definition of art is the act of creating, then a child joyfully arranging objects to his liking has to qualify as art. Watching the process has certainly helped me remember that art should be playful...and temporary. As I have said before, in the midst of deadlines it's easy to forget that, in truth, everything around us is temporary, even the masterpiece we might be creating.

In taking time to play, we gain so much perspective. I hope you took time this summer to enjoy some unstructured time...and that you made sure to congratulate yourself afterward!


Copyright 2011 Shelly Reeves Smith, LLC

3 comments:

Diane said...

I see the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. :-) Perhaps a budding sculptor?

Diane

Shelly said...

I wish, Diane! It would be fun to watch him continue on this path.

Larissa said...

it's funny, his sculpture looks a lot like a baby leg. So he is creating from within his own sphere of experience. :-) so cute!